Friday 17 February 2017

Geocaching diaries : Hunting for hidey-holes !


After our first successful attempt at hiding geocaches in our local neighbourhood and the excitement of seeing people logging their finds online, proving that they had actually gone out to find them, I decided that I wanted to go and place some more. I still had a couple of small plastic tubs that I'd set aside for exactly this purpose so we filled them up with logbooks and swaps and headed off to some likely hiding places.


Our first stop was a big park on the other side of town.


We'd brought some odds and ends of crispbread packets to feed the ducks - there are always loads here.


And they always seem to be ravenous ! This time, we had various breeds of ducks and geese, as well as lots of swooping seagulls.


It was lovely to see the first signs of spring putting in an appearance. We spotted catkins.


Pussy willow buds.


And even the first signs of blossom. It's crazy to think that everything is suddenly bursting into life but just last week, we had snow on the ground.


 We wandered around the park looking for the best place to hide the cache and decided on this multi-trunk tree. We popped the cache in the middle and covered it up with leaves and twigs.


The little stone structure on the left is where there used to be a geocache a couple of years ago, but it got trashed and was archived. I wonder if mine will last any longer ! As we headed for home, the sky was getting darker and darker and we got caught in a torrential downpour at the end of our road. Luckily, Juliette is like me and doesn't mind getting wet so we pulled up our hoods, laughed our heads off then got straight into our onesies when we got inside !


We have a park just next to our house and I've always wanted to place a geocache there too, but again, the last one to be hidden there got trashed in a very short space of time. I decided it would have to be down the far end of the park away from the play areas and a geocache up in the trees rather than on ground level might have better odds of survival. I found a couple of clear plastic Christmas tree baubles in the cupboard and, even if they're not very sturdy, decided to use them, adding a loop to hang them off trees.


I headed to the park and discovered it was shut, for some unexplained reason. I was on a mission though, so I decided to hide it from outside the park. By placing it under a bush just next to the railings, people will be able to find it even outside of the park's opening hours and it also shouldn't be disturbed by the gardeners.


It's on a main road but just next to a bus stop so at least you can pretend to be waiting for a bus as you wait for a clear bit of road with no people wandering about !


For the second small cache, I knew where I wanted to hide it - a new statue representing a giant watering can, which fits in nicely with the giant chair cache that I hid earlier in the week.


I had no idea for a specific hiding place though so I was delighted to discover this hollow wall on the edge of the car park. It's as if it was put there just for the purpose !

It's great fun seeing people logging their finds and I love all the comments saying that they are discovering new places of interest and beautiful walks that they didn't know about. That is what I always think of as the best part of geocaching.


Country Kids

15 comments:

  1. Glad you were not put off by the park being closed. The baubles look great.
    A very convenient hole in the wall I would say.
    I still get a buzz when people find our caches and our tb's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe it when I saw the wall - absolutely perfect hiding place ! It is really exciting - hoping there will be lots of people out geocaching over the weekend :)

      Delete
  2. Look at all that lovely blossom! Lovely to see everyone is appreciating your efforts! #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely to be spotting early signs of spring. The new shoots and early flowers are such a hopeful sight of the season to follow. What a great way to put back into the geocaching community. Looks like you sought out some wonderful hidey holes that will delight future searchers and had a lovely time with Juliette in the process.

    Thank you for sharing with me on #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even spotted some crocus and daffodil flowers pushing through the grass today ... spring is definitely on the way ! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm researching how to go about hiding a geocache here in Sweden. My little lady and her BFF hid one in the UK before we left, and when they visit in the summer we'd like to do a twin one here. It's great yours are being found and appreciated #countrykidsfun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to the geocaching.com website and go to "play", "hide a geocache", there's lots of advice and you can see on the map where you can and can't place geocaches (so they're not too close to existing ones).

      Delete
  5. How exciting, I hope that lots of people get to enjoy finding them. Sad to think people trash them though #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens a lot unfortunately - I can understand people stealing the toys but why destroy the cache? Some get unearthed during pruning/gardening/grass cutting by the council but some are done on purpose.

      Delete
  6. This looks like a lot of fun, geocaching is something we still haven't tried! It's lovely to see the first signs of spring too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have never done Geo Caching - it looks like fun. A nice little adventure.
    Coming over from #CountryKids :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely place to go geocaching. My children love treasure hunts and trails so we really must try geocaching one day. How lovely to see the signs of Spring!

    #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm also glad that there are signs of spring in the air. It must be so exciting when people find your caches, I hope these survive a long time and give lots of families pleasure in finding them #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love finding geocaches and I can imagine that it must be quite exciting when people find ones that you have hidden. Lovely to see signs of spring everywhere too! :-) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep reading all these posts about geocaching and it is really making me want to have a go at it. Looks like such a great idea.
    #countrykids

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...